Whole-wheat Masoor Daal Paratha

I had totally forgotten that I had some Masoor Daal leftover and made a fresh batch today. Whenever I make daal and rice, I make sure that I make enough to last us 3 days. I make vegetables and chicken or fish everyday or every other day - that way I do not have to spend more than 45 minutes to 1 hour in the kitchen. The days I roast the veggies and bake the fish/chicken I spend less than half an hour - which means I have a lot of time leftover to spend with the 4.75 year old. His school starts soon and I want to make the most of whatever is left of his summer vacation!

Whole-wheat Masoor Daal Paratha

Ingredients: (yields about 8)
  • Whole-wheat flour - 1 1/4 Cup + some extra
  • Cooked or boiled Masoor Dal/Lentil - About a cup 
  • Onions - 1/4 Cup, finely chopped
  • Garlic - 1 tsp, finely chopped
  • Ginger - 1/2 tsp, grated
  • Green Chilies - 1 or 2, finely chopped (Depending on your heat preference)
  • Cilantro leaves - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
  • Fenugreek Leaves/Kasuri Methi - 1 tsp, lightly crushed between your palms
  • Cumin Seed/Jeera - 1 tsp
  • Asafoetida/Hing - a fat pinch
  • Salt to taste
  • Sugar - a fat pinch 
  • Oil - 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp (for the dough)
  • Ghee - enough for frying. I was stringy and used about a tbsp. 
  • Water - 1 or 2 tbsp (if required)


In a non-stick pan heat 1 tsp of oil and temper it with the cumin seeds and asafoetida. Once the cumin seeds start spluttering, add the chopped onions, chopped garlic, grated ginger, chopped chilies and fry till fragrant. Now add the cooked/boiled Daal and cook it down till the liquid evaporates a bit. Throw in the chopped cilantro and crushed fenugreek leaves and take it off the heat. 

In a bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat flour, salt. sugar and 1/2 tsp oil. Add the cooled down Masoor Daal (about 3/4 Cup) and knead well to make a dough. Add little water if required. Divide the dough into equal sized balls and roll out each ball into discs of about 6 inches in diameter. 

Heat a pan or tawa, and roast the rolled out parathas on both sides. Repeat for each and keep aside. Now to the same pan or tawa, add little ghee and fry all the parathas, on both sides. Since I used very little ghee. I brushed on both sides of the parathas and I fried them on low heat, flipping once.

Serve hot with whatever you want to! We ate ours with some mango pickle. 




Comments

Popular Posts