Palak Paneer: My Ma's recipe

This is my theory behind everyone saying that their Mom's food being the best! It is because we find comfort in all things familiar. That is what we have grown up stuffing our tummies with, sneaking in when no one's looking, stashing the of aromas and flavors away in tiny compartments in our hearts! Heck, I had served my 5 year old (when he was around 3) steamed broccoli and the little faithful soul said it was yummy! Trust me, I know friends who praise their Mom's cooked food endlessly, though I have found it hard to gulp down (no offence). Luckily for me, I have friends who praise my Mom's food endlessly too! 

Btw, please forgive the crappy picture. It was way creamier than this. I took a photo right after taking it out of the fridge and and hurriedly took a pic before I heated it up. Everyone was hungry and gave me exactly 2 minutes to click a pic.




This is one of her many recipes that I love! Bursting with flavors of nutty coriander seeds and fresh cilantro, this is a recipe that is very close to my heart. And a dear friend's valuable tip on how to keep the paneer soft and soak in the flavors just makes it all the more special.   

Ingredients:
  • Spinach - 2 1/2 Cups, packed (I used frozen)
  • Cilantro - 1/2 Cup
  • Garlic - 4 fat cloves + 1 tbsp minced
  • Tomato - 1 small
  • Green Chili - 2 or 3 (depending on heat preference)
  • Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
  • Oil - 1/2 tbsp + enough to fry the paneer lightly
  • Paneer - about 3 Cups
  • Salt to taste + 1 tsp
  • Sugar - 1 tbsp
  • Water - 2 Cups + 2 Cups
In a mixer, blend together the spinach, cilantro, 4 fat cloves of garlic, green chilies and tomato into a smooth paste. Since I used frozen spinach (that I thawed on the counter-top) I squeezed out as much water as possible. 
Heat 2 Cups of water along with a tablespoon of water and a teaspoon of salt (preferably in a shallow dish/bowl). Cut the paneer in your desired shape. Heat a pan and fry the paneer pieces lightly on all the sides. Immediately transfer the fried pieces to the warm water. Let the pieces soak in it. 
Now add oil to the pan and fry the minced garlic and coriander powder till fragrant on medium  heat. Add the spinach mixture and cook till it turns darker green. Add salt and water, cover and cook. Once it starts simmering, add the paneer pieces and cook till the spinach-gravy reduces to your desired consistency. 
Serve warm with Roti or Rice. 

Comments

I have never tasted this roti. Looks really yummy and bookmarked right away. will be trying..
Chinese Restaurants in Rajendra Nagar

Popular Posts