Moist Double Chocolate Chip Muffins


I was looking for a recipe for moist Double Chocolate Chip Muffins when I stumbled upon this gem of a recipe. One quick look at the ingredients and I was sold! Bookmarked it, made a mental note of the ingredients and went about my daily chores. We were going on a road trip on the following Friday to Holland, Michigan to be a part of their tulip festival. And I was going to bake this Strawberry Quick Bread with Lemon Glaze and these chocolate chip muffins along with us to munch on!

I was done packing way ahead of time. Bags were packed, snacks were packed, fridge stocked with the perishables and it was just Tuesday and we weren't leaving until the following Friday! I was gloating, well just a wee bit! With packing, cleaning (I like to leave my home in a spic and span condition as I absolutely dislike coming back from a vacation to a messy apartment) and Strawberry Quick Bread with Lemon Glaze done, I started out to make the Moist Double Chocolate Chip Muffins Thursday late afternoon. But as luck would have it, the page I wanted to follow the recipe from just refused to open. Frustrated, I started looking for other recipes, but I could not find anything that I loved! That is when I found Brighteyed Baker's Facebook page and messaged her! Alexandra (of Brighteyed Baker) not only did message back saying that it was a server issue that will get fixed within a couple of hours, she was kind enough to send me a screen shot of her recipe once her site was up!
Oh, I did I tell you.. I totally fell in love with that speckled egg! So much so that it lay untouched in my fridge for good two months. Then one day the husband threw it away (cue heartbreak!!).

 
Ingredients: (yield about 12)
  • All Purpose Flour - 2 Cups + 1 tbsp (scant)
  • Cocoa Powder - 1 Cup
  • Baking Powder - 2 1/2 tsp
  • Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
  • Salt - 1 tsp
  • Instant Coffee granules - 1/4 tsp (optional)
  • Granulated Sugar - 1 1/4 Cups
  • Oil - 1/2 Cup (I used Canola)
  • Eggs - 2 whole + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
  • Sour Cream - 1 1/2 Cups
  • Vanilla Extract - 1 tbsp
  • Chocolate Chips - 2/3 Cups + 2 tbs to sprinkle on top of the muffins
  • Baking Chocolate Bar - Chopped into small chunks

Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a standard muffin tin with cupcake liners.
In a largish bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, instant coffee granules and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs on medium speed while adding cupful of sugar till light and fluffy. Scrape the bowl using a rubber spatula as and when required. Add the oil and beat till it is all mixed together. Now beat in the sour cream and vanilla extract till everything is mixed together nicely.
Slowly add the dry ingredients and fold in gently. Be careful not to overbeat. Once incorporated, gently fold in the chocolate chips and chunks.

Spoon in dollops of batter into the prepped muffin tin. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of the batter and press down lightly.
Bake for 10 minutes at 375 F and then reduce the oven temperature to 350 F and bake for another 6 to 8 minutes. (Baking time may vary slightly - start checking after 15 minutes). Insert a toothpick in the middle of a muffin - if it comes out clean, the muffins are done. Let the muffins cool a little in the muffin tin before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
The muffins will stay fresh in an airtight container for 3 days, at least and for 7 days if refrigerated.

Original recipe here!

Comments

Unknown said…
after 10 mins of baking at 375... you have not mentioned the how much time it should be bajked at 350 ... please mention it...the recipe seems to be great and would love to try it hence the query ... Swapna Nair
Cocoawind said…
Oh I am so sorry... I have updated my post with the time! Thanks a bunch for your kind words!
Misty Rhythm said…
Sour cream is difficult to come by in Kolkata...any alternatives?
The muffins look scrumptious btw!
Cocoawind said…
Thank you Misty. You can substitute it with plain yogurt - 1:1 ratio. Hope this helps :)

Popular Posts