Gajar Ka Halwa - Indian Carrot Pudding

This is one of the easiest desserts to make if you have a food processor. Grating it is a little time-consuming but the results are so yummy that I did not mind doing it once in a while. But now that I have a blender which comes with a food processor attachment life is so much easier! 

Gajar Ka Halwa - Indian Carrot Pudding


What I needed:
  • 3 cups of grated carrots
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbs sugar (this is how much I needed to reach my preferred level of sweetness, you can use more or less)
  • 3 cups of 2% milk (or whole milk)
  • 6-8 green cardamom pods
  • 2 tbs of oil or ghee
  • 10-12 raisins
  • Some slivered almonds for garnishing (optional)


    How I made it:

    • Added ghee to the pan and to it went the cardamoms, lightly crushed with a mortar and pestle.
    • Added the carrots that I had shredded in the food processor along with the sugar and stirred continuously till the sugar caramelized and the mixture turned a darker color.
    • Added the milk and raisins to the mixture and cooked, stirring continuously till all the liquid evaporated. 

    It tastes best when served warm.

    Comments

    first time here, nice space. i was just like you in cooking. but i learned very fast. do visit my space and halwa is awesome.
    Cocoawind said…
    Thank you :) Would love to visit your space!
    team ecoSycle said…
    Well, I’m not gnawing on any carrots, but I am doing my best to lighten my diet a bit. I’m failing at it, but at least there have been a few trips to the gym, with that being said, I think this Gajar Halwa is a marvelous way to start 2013… can’t wait to give it a try!
    Yummmm... Yummmm... Deliciaso....
    Cocoawind said…
    haha! I hope you did! :)

    Popular Posts