Palong Shaak-Keema Curry: Ground Chicken with Spinach

This is my  way of masking the leafy vegetable and feeding it to the family who eats their vegetables but not are too keen when it comes to the leafy greens. It tastes good with chapati, paratha, plain rice or as a filling for sandwich. It is also a perfectly tasty quick to make dish - the kind I love! My son initially protested saying that he does not want to eat green chicken, but eventually I persuaded him to try out a morsel - he loved it! Mini victory for Mamma! I actually do a victory dance, in my mind, every time he tries out something new and loves it! He is quite the picky eater and does not like experimenting with food.


Ingredients:
  • Ground Chicken - 1 pound
  • Spinach - 1 Cup (I used frozen, if using fresh, finely chop or shred)
  • Onions - 3/4 Cup, finely chopped
  • Garlic - 2 tsp, minced
  • Green Chili - 1 or 2 (or more), slit
  • Cilantro - 1/2 Cup, Finely chopped
  • Whole Garam Masala - 1 inch cinnamon, 3 green cardamom pods, 4 cloves
  • Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
  • Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
  • Kasuri Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) - 1 tbsp 
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil - 1/2 tbsp
In a pan heat up the oil and temper with the Whole Garam Masala till the aroma hits you. Throw in the chopped  garlic and onions into it and fry till the onions turn golden brown. Now add the green chilies, cumin powder and coriander powder and cook till oil leaves the side. 
I sometimes use a powdered spice mix that I make at home. It is a very useful thing to have on hand and it packs quite a punch of flavor. I just dry roast some Whole Garam Masala (the above ratio) along with a teaspoon each of cumin and coriander and dry grind everything in a spice/coffee grinder. You can use 2 tsp of that powder if you have it. 
Once the masala is cooked, in goes the thawed spinach along with the salt. Since ground chicken does not take a long time to brown, cook the spinach first for few minutes and then add the ground chicken. Keep stirring and breaking the clumps of ground chicken with your spatula till all the pink is gone and it has browned nicely. Add the cilantro and kasuri methi and give it a stir or two. I always crush the methi leaves using the palms of my hands - that just makes it more fragrant. Take it off heat and serve warm.  

Comments

khub bhalo recipe. first I thought its egg bhurjee. banabo
Cocoawind said…
Thank you Sayantani! Eta besh bhaalo holo... and 2-in-1... so kaaj kom :D

Popular Posts