Baked Eggs with Ham & Cheese

I love it when the oven takes care of most of the cooking! This means that I can use that time to prepare something else or just chill. Recipes using the oven come in especially handy when I feel too lazy to cook and at the same time do not want to order in. 
Two days of non-stop roaming around and a little too much fun left us a bit too tired on the third day of the long weekend. I had plans for making us a breakfast of Whole-wheat pancakes and Baked Eggs with Ham & Cheese. But waking up at 10 'o'clock in the morning sort of sabotaged that plan. All of us were hungry so the husband quickly rustled up a breakfast of toasts with butter and tea in less than 10 minutes. The wonderful idea of making Whole-wheat Pancakes and Baked Eggs for lunch seeped into my head as I sipped my morning cup of tea leisurely. Ok. I admit. I was a feeling lazy to cook lunch but who doesn't like Breakfast for Lunch, eh! 
You'll find the recipe for Whole-Wheat Pancakes here!

Baked Eggs with Ham & Cheese

Now about these Baked Eggs. I kinda wanted to try making these ever since I saw it on Food Network - I cannot remember which show - and this is totally my interpretation. I was furiously switching channels in between my son's screams for his 'TV time' when I saw this for one flitting second. We had just restricted his TV-time to an hour each day, so the minute he heard the TV he came running from his room demanding for his TV-time (it is getting better now)! 
Anyways, with the idea planted in my head, I was just waiting to buy my supplies. I almost always have eggs and cheese in my fridge, but I wanted to add some ham as well. There is no need to follow recipe per se, you can add your choice of yumminess to the bottom of your ramekins. I just love the flavors of ham cooked with some onions and bell pepper. I like my eggs cooked through and through and I never serve undercooked eggs to my son, while the husband likes his yolks a little runny. But since this was the first time ever that I was making these, I did not want to experiment much. Next time, I will just take out one ramekin a little early. 

Ingredients: (Yields 2 serving of 2 eggs each or 4 servings of 1 egg each)
  • Eggs - 4, large at room temperature 
  • Onions - 4 tbsp, finely chopped
  • Bell Pepper - 4 tbsp, finely chopped
  • Ham - 1/2 Cup, cut into small cubes (I used cooked ham)
  • Oil - 1 tsp
  • Butter - enough to grease the baking dishes or ramekins
  • Pepper - 1/4 tsp, freshly ground
  • Salt to taste
  • Cheese - 1/2 Cup, shredded (I used Parmesan)
Preheat oven at 350F.
Grease the ramekins with butter.
In a pan, heat 1 tsp of oil and fry the onions, bell pepper and ham cubes. Cook for few minutes till the onions turn translucent. 
Divide into two or four equal parts depending on how many ramekins you are using. Just be sure to use smaller (2-3 oz) ramekins if you are making with one egg and bigger (6-8 oz) ones. 

Baked Eggs with Ham & Cheese

Crack open the eggs and gently drop those into the ramekins.
Season with some salt and pepper.

Baked Eggs with Ham & Cheese

Sprinkle the shredded cheese on the eggs.

Season with some salt and pepper.

Place the ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes if you want your egg yolks runny or for 25 minutes like I did for cooked yolks. 

Baked Eggs with Ham & Cheese


Comments

Ushnish Ghosh said…
very nice ..feel like eating ..but no Parmesan , will put some stupid amul ha ha
Cocoawind said…
Thank you Ushnish Da... Amul dio bhaalo laagbe :)
Project Curve said…
i can have breakfast food all day. I can have this all day! this is easy enough for a lazy foodie like me!

Popular Posts