Jeera (Cumin) Chicken - Quick & Easy

This was one of the first chicken recipes I had learnt way back in 2006, when my husband and I used to stay in Texas. My friend Suvosree had taught it to me. I love the recipe since it does not use onions. Yes, I have major problems chopping onions and no, nothing stops the onion tears. I have lighted candles, washed the onion with warm water, chilled it before cutting - nothing helped. One time, my husband suggested that I use his swim goggles - that I am yet to try!
This recipe is a crowd pleaser, the potent flavor of the cumin paste, along with ginger and garlic packs a punch.

Jeera Chicken
 Ingredients:
  • Chicken - 1 kg
  • Grated ginger - 2 tbs
  • Grated garlic - 4 tbs
  • Chopped green chilis - 4
  • Oil - 2tbs
  • Jeera (Cumin) paste 1 tsp
  • Jeera (Cumin) powder - 1 tsp
  • Dhania (Coriander) powder - 1 tsp
  • Chopped coriander/cilantro leaves - 2 tbs
  • Yogurt - 2 tbs
  • Flour - 1/2 tsp  
  • Salt to taste


Heat oil in the pan, add ginger, garlic,  green chilies and fry till fragrant. I always add garlic to the pan first and then turn the heat on - this lowers the chances of the garlic getting burnt. Add the chicken pieces and fry till nicely browned. Add the jeera and dhania powder, and cook till the raw smell is gone. Add the yogurt (beaten lightly with the flour), jeera paste and cook for few more minutes. Add just enough water to cover the chicken and cook till done. Lastly add the chopped coriander leaves. Good with rice or roti. 

Comments

Unknown said…
Great!! Check mine too :) http://haffaskitchen.blogspot.com/2013/10/spicy-cumin-chicken-zeera-chicken.html
Mugdha Mohanty said…
wow this is awesome....:-)
Unknown said…
Tried this recipe & it was a SUPER HIT!! Thanks for sharing such quick, easy & yummy recipes, Saro.
Happy Cooking & keep sharing :-)
sunita said…
Saro..tor ei recipie ta try korlam aaj...but with a lil twist from wut u have asked...but it came out well...nice recipie.....had it with dosa.....it was awesome....!!
Cocoawind said…
Thank you so much! Means a lot!!
sanjit sen said…
boneless chicken to be used ?
regards.
Cocoawind said…
Sanjit, I have used bone-in chicken.
Unknown said…
What is cumin paste ?? How do you make that ?? Thankyou !!
Cocoawind said…
Hi Suzie! Back at home, Shil-Nora - a rectangular block of stone is traditionally used to grind Masalas (spices) into a smooth paste. Over here, I just dry-grind the cumin (jeera) seeds to powdery consistency in the coffee grinder and add a little water to it to make a paste.
Thanks for stopping by! :)

Popular Posts