Sheer Khurma

Yesterday was Eid-al-Fitr, the religious festival of breaking fast celebrated by the adherents of Islam (Muslims) that marks the end of Ramadan which is the Islamic holy month of fasting. (Source:Wikipedia)
If we were in Kolkata or had it not been raining incessantly over the weekend (which jeopardized my plans of visiting the store where we get mutton) we would definitely be having biriyani or some other delicacy. I was sulking all morning after looking at dozens of drool-worthy food photographs on facebook , when Sayantani (of ahomemakersdiary)  mentioned that she was craving for Sheer Khurma. That gave me the idea to make some. 
Sheer Khurma is a vermicelli pudding made with dates and milk made and served traditionally on the occasion of Eid-al-Fitr. 


Ingredients: 
  • Milk - 2 Cups
  • Vermicelli (Seviyan) - 1 Cup (I used wheat vermicelli and broke them into 2 inch long pieces)
  • Dates - 1/4 Cup, chopped
  • Dried fruits - 1/3 Cup (I used almonds and pistachios, you can use cashews too), chopped or slivered
  • Raisins - 2 tbsp
  • Sugar - 2 tbsp (add more if you prefer it sweeter)
  • Cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp or a fat pinch
  • Ghee - 1/2 tsp
In a pan, add the ghee and roast the vermicelli till they start turning golden brown. You can dry the vermicelli as well if you do not want to use the ghee. Set aside.
In a saucepan, heat the milk with the cardamom powder on medium-low heat. Keep stirring frequently for 5-6 minutes till it starts simmering. Lower the heat add the vermicelli pieces  and sugar to it and cook till the milk starts reducing and the vermicelli starts to soften. Now, add the chopped dates, chopped almonds and chopped pistachios. You can add chopped cashews to if you want, I did not since I am allergic to it. Cook for a few more minutes and take it off the heat. Serve warm.

Note: I read the description of Sheer Khurma on Wikipedia and made it without following any  particular recipe. 



Comments

Unknown said…
My daughter love vermicelli kheer. ....this is something new....ll try for my angel
Cocoawind said…
I hope she likes it! Thanks for stopping by!

Popular Posts