Chicken in Yogurt Sauce - Doi Chicken

The weather forecast said that a winter storm will be blowing over Ohio on Sunday followed by brutally cold wind chill. So we are staying in today and cooking, cleaning and spending some quality family time. We woke up really late, the husband and I. Our 4 year old was up since 7:30am (the husband gave him a bowl of cereal and went back to sleep). We ate breakfast leisurely , chatted with our folks back home on Skype and it was only after 12pm that I started cooking while the husband cleaned. Late lunch for sure.
Today I wanted to try out some Doi Chicken - Chicken in Yogurt Sauce. Since I am allergic to cashews, I can never add it to my chicken curry, so I added some poppy seed paste to add some texture to the gravy. The gravy was extremely flavorful and lighter in color than in the pix. Since there was absolutely no natural light  today, I took the pix in yellow bulb light and that made the chicken look more yellow than it was.


Ingredients:
  • Chicken - 5 pcs, I used legs
  • Ghee - 1 tbs (Or 1/2 tbs ghee + 1/2 tbs oil)
  • Bay leaves - 2 small
  • Red Chili - 1, slit
  • Garlic - 1.5 tsp, finely chopped
  • Ginger - 1tsp, grated
  • Onion - Paste, 1/4 Cup
  • Greek Yogurt or Hung Curd - 2 tbs
  • Poppy Seed Paste - 3 tsp
  • Whole Garam Masala - 4 pods of Green Cardamom, 4 cloves, 1 inch Cinnamon Stick)
  • Salt to Taste

In a pan, heat ghee(oil) and temper with lightly crushed Whole Garam Masala, Red Chili and add the chopped garlic, grated ginger and onion paste and cook till the raw smell is gone. I always freeze my ginger after washing these well. It makes it way easier to grate it and it stays for longer. I just pop whatever is left back into the freezer. To this add the chicken pieces (which I washed, pat dried with a paper towel and slit using a pairing knife) and fry, stirring frequently. Sprinkle some salt and cook for few minutes. Add the yogurt and cook till the oil separates. Add some water and cover and cook on medium flame till chicken pieces are done. Add the poppy seed paste and cook for a few minutes and take it off the heat. Serve with rice.

The sky is overcast, so I think some pakoras are must with our evening chai!

Comments

Rafeeda AR said…
that chicken curry looks really comforting... yum...
Cocoawind said…
Thank you so much :)

Popular Posts