Garlick-y Green Beans made in a Cast Iron Skillet

I am excited today! I have been ever since I picked up my brand new cast iron skillet from the post office yesterday. I just could not wait to use it! So I inaugurated it with this simple Greens Beans tossed in some sliced garlic and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds. A very quick-fix and yummy side!
I had been considering a cast iron skillet for a long time now! But somehow the delicate nature of this heavy pan had always discouraged me. One has to keep a lot of things in mind while using this very versatile pan that goes from the stovetop to oven to the grill, but it is not as difficult as I thought it to be. I ultimately took the plunge after reading one too many skillet cookie recipes!

Green Beans in Cast Iron Pan

Ingredients:

  • Green Beans - 12 oz (340 gm), snipped at the ends
  • Oil - 1/2 tbsp (I used canola oil)
  • Garlic - 2 fat cloves, thinly sliced
  • Sesame Seeds - 1/2 tsp, toasted
  • Pepper - 1/4 tsp, freshly crushed
  • Salt to taste (I used sea salt)
Preheat oven to 400F.
Heat the oil in the cast iron skillet (on stove top). Throw in the beans and garlic and toss till the oil coats the beans and the garlic starts to brown a little. Carefully pick out the garlic slices and keep aside. Season with salt and pepper and stick the skillet into the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes till the beans start crisping a little. Take it out , add the garlic slices back and sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds and give it another quick toss or two. 

Notes:
  • For the toasted sesame seeds just dry roast the seeds on medium heat, while stirring frequently till the seeds start to brown a little. Take it of the heat.
  • If you do not have a cast iron skillet, use a oven-proof skillet or you can just use a regular pan to lightly saute the beans and then transfer them to a cookie sheet and finish roasting in the oven. 

Comments

Popular Posts