Hing diye Alu'r Torkari: Potato Curry with a hint of Asafoetida

Sometimes I get these overwhelming cravings for potatoes which I need to satiate right away. Today was one such day. Especially because we have been eating roasted veggies and baked fish or chicken the last 5 days. So I made some whole-wheat Alu Paratha (flat bread stuffed with spiced mashed potatoes and Hing diye Alu'r Torkari (potato curry with a hint of asafoetida) to take care of my cravings. The husband helped in rolling out the parathas - he is getting better each day!
I still remember the first time I had made Alu Paratha way back in 2006 - each one had turned out crispy to the hilt and the fillings were bursting out. I have come a long way, but still dare not put up the recipe of Alu Paratha on my blog, not yet at least. So here's the recipe for a very flavorful Potato Curry, which will go well with Luchi (Puri), Paratha or Rooti (Chapati).

Hing diye Alu'r Torkari: Potato Curry with a hint of Asafoetida

Ingredients:
  • Potatoes - 1 Cup, cubed into small pieces
  • Onions - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
  • Tomatoes - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
  • Green Chili - 1 or 2, slit
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
  • Asafoetida - 1/8 tsp
  • Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
  • Oil - 1 tsp (I used mustard oil)
  • Salt to taste
  • Water - 1/2 to 3/4 Cup
Heat oil in a kadai or wok and temper with cumin seeds and asafoetida. Once the cumin seeds starts spluttering throw in the onions and fry till translucent. Add the tomatoes, cook for a minute or two. Next, add the cubed potatoes, turmeric powder, green chili and salt. Cook for a few minutes, while stirring constantly. Add water, cover and cook till done. 



Comments

Unknown said…
Yummy, love this aloo curry....

Popular Posts