Homestyle Fish Fry with Yogurt-Cilantro Dip

This is my Ma's recipe which I recreated the day I had invited Progna( this is her blog), Sam and their 3year-old son Sid over for lunch. Since Progna is an awesome cook herself and I was inviting her over for the first time, I needed a surefire recipe. I knew that I had hit the mark when Sid and Soh (my 2.5year old who is also a picky eater) asked for seconds.

Ma makes it with Bhetki (wikipedia:Barramundi/Barramundi perch) - and this is how it looks.



What I needed:

For the fish fries:
  • 4 Tilapia fillets (you can use Bhetki fillets) 
  •  1 small onion
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic
  • 1 cup of cilantro
  • 3-4 mint leaves
  • 1/2 cup of flour (for coating)
  • 1 egg lightly beaten (for coating)
  • 1 cup of plain bread crumb (for coating)
  • 1tbs of oil
  • Salt to Taste
  • Freshly Ground Pepper
  • Oil for frying
For the yogurt dip:
  • 1/2 cup curd
  • 1 cup of cilantro
  • A dash of Lemon
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic
  • Green Chili - 2 
  • 1 tsp Oil
How I made them:

  • I washed and patted the fillets dry with a paper towel and seasoned both sides with salt and paper.
  • Cut the fillets into bite size pieces - I got about 5-6 pieces out of each fillet
  • Blended together the onion, garlic cloves, cilantro and mint leaves along with 1tbs of oil, added the fish to the marinade, covered it and let it stand overnight.
  • Next day, I made an assembly line of flour, egg and breadcrumbs in 3 different vessels and dredged the fish fillets first in flour, then dunked in the egg and ultimately gave those a coating of breadcrumb.
  • Heated some oil in a pan and fried the fish till they turned golden brown on each side and served them with the yogurt-cilantro dip.
The dip: I blended all the ingredients together and voila.. the dip appeared. I however did not add salt to it.











Comments

Keka said…
yummy! slightly different from my ma's recipe - and we do not use mint - but looks so awesome!
Osadharon khete hoyechilo.... abar dekhei jeebe jol eshe gelo..... Abar khaoa...
sumana said…
Ei, Tilapiar bodoley basa use kora jaabey re? Bombay-te Betki ba Tilapia paoa ektu kotheen.
Cocoawind said…
Thank you PeeGee... :)
Sumana... basa will do... might be better even :)
GenevieveB said…
had an awesome opportunity to taste these.....Yummo! The dip gals also go so well as a dressing on ur salad. Try it!

Popular Posts