Strawberry Jam Thumbprint Cookies

I made these for the first time for Christmas 2010 as I thought these looked very Christmassy. This was a favorite with my friends in Rochester so have made these several times last year. This recipe is inspired by Foodnetworks Kitchen.

What I needed:
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 2/3 cup sugar, and some extra for rolling the dough
  • 1 egg 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup strawberry jam
How I made them: 
  • I preheated the oven to 350 degrees F
  • Lined 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
  • Whisked the flour and baking powder and salt in a bowl.
  • In a separate bowl I mixed together the butter and sugar with a hand-held mixer until fluffy, say for about 3 to 4mins. Added the egg and vanilla until just mixed a little more.
  • Gradually added the dry ingredients mixing just until just combined. I usually add the dry ingredients in 2 or 3 instalments.
  • I eyeballed the dough into 1-inch balls or you can use an ice cream scoop and rolled it in granulated sugar.
  • Put them about 2-inches apart on the prepared baking sheets, pressed my thumb into the center of each ball, about 1/2-inch deep.
  • Filled each each thumbprint with about 1/2 teaspoon jam.
  • Baked the cookies until the edges are golden for about 8-10 minutes.
  • Transferred them to a cooking rack and served.

The cookies stayed fresh in an airtight container for up to 4 days.

Strawberry Thumbprint CookiesUpdate (14th Dec 2012): This year to make the cookies more Christmassy I rolled the 1-inch balls of dough in green colored sugar. To add color to the sugar I just put a couple of drops of color to 3-4 tbs of sugar in an airtight container and shook it vigorously till the sugar changed color. I also rolled out some of the dough to about 1/4inch thickness and used a start-shaped cookie cutter to cut stars. Be sure to sprinkle some flour on the rolling surface as well on the cookie cutter,.. otherwise the dough will stick.


Comments

You definitely have to make it again and send me some!!!
khaini tai comment korte parlam na....
love the green ones...so festive looking
Unknown said…
Wow..ki darun baniyechho. Perfect baked and presentation.
Poorna Banerjee said…
looks brilliant. I am thinking of making these tomorrow. Jodi banai tomake bolbo kemon hoyechhe.
Unknown said…
Looks yummy dear.

Happy to follow you.Stop by mine too.
http://indianfoodnest.blogspot.com/2013/05/sweet-flat-rice-with-coconut-recipe.html
Unknown said…
These look delish!

http://www.quirkylifestyle.com/

Popular Posts