Orange-Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes

 If you ask me when did I start getting so interested in baking or cooking, I will not be able to give you a definite answer. May be it was my need to do something with the spare time I had post leaving my job and coming to US with my 10mo old son in the summer of 2010. It took me a while to settle down. The 2.5years that I was in Kolkata before coming here had spoilt me rotten. We had hired help to do everything... yes... everything around the house. Then my super active son managed to keep me away from the kitchen for a long long time. Now that he is 2.5years old and acts all grown up and manages to keep himself busy with his toys and out of trouble for the better part of the day I am back to baking
More than anything I think this is the perfect way to jot down/store/share the recipes of things that have become family favorites.

A senior from school (thank you MMS) had suggested almost over a year back that I start a food blog showcasing my recipes. I have been thinking about it since then. But never got around to doing it... until now that is...

Ohh... and did I mention that I like to take pictures too... and the cupcakes and cookies and my son have become my favorite subjects.... not necessarily in that order.

Some of my baking recipes use box mixes while some are from scratch. Initially I used Betty Crocker's Pound Cake mix a lot. It was an instant hit with the family... then I started tweaking the recipes a little bit and made some yummy orange and chocolate ganache cupcakes out of it with chocolate ganache frosting... and that sort of started it all...

  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • Line a muffin pan with paper liners.
  • I made the batter following the package instructions on the Betty Crocker's Pound Cake Mix
  • Added 3 tbs of orange juice
  • Added 1/3 cup of chocolate ganache (recipe follows)
  • Added 1/2 tsp of instant coffee granules
  • Combined everything using an electric mixer
  • Scooped the batter into the muffin pan - about 2/3rd full
  • Baked for about 13-15minutes or until they are just set in the middle
  • Transferred the cupcakes to a cooling rack and let it cool for at least 45minutes.
  • Piped on the remaining chocolate ganache on top of the cupcakes. I sometimes dip the cupcakes directly into the ganache when I am feeling too lazy.

For the ganache you will need:

  • 8oz cup heavy whipping cream
  • 8 ounces good semi sweet chocolate chips - I use Ghiradelli
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
I combined all the ingredients in a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and shiny, stirring occasionally.

I do not refrigerate my cupcakes but store them in an airtight container. Stays fresh for upto 4days.

Comments

The cupcake were insanely good and the ganache frosting were sinful... I know it 'cause I had the good fortune to taste them...
Sats said…
Tor blog ta aaj prathom dekhlam. Jemon shundor photographs temon bhalo khabaar. Made me hungry. Amio cooking bhalo bashi tabe tor moto bhalo cook noi. Keep it up.
Cocoawind said…
Thank you! :) Aami ekdowm phaakibaaj cook!

Popular Posts